Russ Burbank is Senior Managing Director with BPM LLP’s Financial Advisory Group where he has a history of demonstrated success advising public and private companies in transitional circumstances.
His practice emphasizes technology, manufacturing, aerospace, energy, agriculture and financial services. His recent engagements include:
- Financial Advisor to a $50 million nonprofit behavioral health care provider. Developed and implemented a plan that ensured the health and wellbeing of over 1,000 severely disabled patients prior to liquidation under Chapter 7.
- Liquidating Manager of a 100-person law firm in Chapter 11. He turned the firm over to a Plan Administrator after termination of legal activities, transition of lawyers and clients to new firms, collection of receivables and full repayment of secured debt.
- Financial Advisor to a 60,000 bpd integrated refining and marketing operation. Developed and implemented processes and methodologies for cash and profit management following spin-off from its parent company.
- Financial Advisor to a 750 ton paper mill. Developed and implemented processes for cash and profit management during critical transition from its former parent to a new private owner.
- Chapter 11 Trustee of a 1500 head dairy with operations in CA and OK. The case was dismissed after rehabilitation and liquidation of livestock and turnover of physical assets to secured lenders.
- Interim CEO of a $15 million electronic components manufacturer, resulting in an out-of-Court asset sale in cooperation with its senior lender.
- Chapter 11 Plan Administrator of a $175 million dollar mortgage fund that was operated as a Ponzi scheme.
- Interim CEO of a $75 million oil products refining and marketing company, resulting in balance sheet restructuring, debt replacement, and ultimately sale of the business.
- Operating Receiver of a $20 million telecommunications equipment company during a hostile foreclosure by a competitor who had acquired the company’s senior secured debt.
- Restructuring Advisor to a $150 million dairy cooperative and creamery that was forced into a Chapter 11 filing and Section 363 asset sale.
- Restructuring Advisor to a $750 million dollar agriculture products trading company in a successful replacement of $90 million of senior debt.
- Restructuring Advisor to a privately held $200 million agriculture trading company that resulted in an out-of-court settlement with its secured lender.
- Restructuring Advisor to a $100 million semiconductor and aerospace photocell manufacturer resulting in full recovery by secured lenders and creditors after a Chapter 11 liquidation.
- Liquidating Trustee and/or Assignee for Benefit of Creditors for numerous unrelated companies in manufacturing, medical devices, life sciences, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, electronic components, aerospace, financial services, and consumer products.
Russ is a Certified Turnaround Professional and was formerly the Chairman of the national committee that oversees turnaround certification. Recent publications and presentations include: “The 5-Step Turnaround Process,” Dow Jones DBR; “Turnaround Process as Applied to Middle Market Companies,” Harvard Business School; “The Classic Five-Step Turnaround Process,” The Journal of Private Equity. He was also honored with a “Turnaround of the Year” award for work he did at a Texas-based biotechnology company
Earlier in his career, Russ led the growth of an alternate energy company to an enterprise value of $1 billion that was realized in a hostile takeover. He has also held management and executive positions at Diamond Shamrock Corp., Natomas Co., Envirotech Corp., and the Electric Power Research Institute. He has a BS degree in Chemical Engineering from the University of California, Berkeley and an MBA from the Stanford Graduate School of Business, where he was an Arjay Miller Scholar.
Ran the Olympic torch through Menlo Park on its way to Los Angeles.