Russ is a Senior Managing Director in Advisory at BPM and leads the Firm's Turnaround & Restructuring Group. He has a history of demonstrated success advising public and private companies in transitional circumstances, including M&A, restructuring, forensic investigation, and business closure. His financial advisory and turnaround practice emphasize technology, manufacturing, agriculture and services.
Russ has been honored with the “Turnaround of the Year” award from the Turnaround Management Association (TMA) for the work he did at a Texas-based biotechnology company, which was also featured in a Journal of Private Equity article titled ‘The Classic Five-Step Turnaround Process: Case Study of ProdiGene, Inc.” Earlier in his career, Russ successfully turned around three unrelated capital equipment companies and one oil services business after repositioning each in their respective markets. Before that, he led the growth of an alternate energy company to an enterprise value of $1 billion that was realized in a hostile takeover.
Representative engagements include:
- Restructuring advisor to a $100 million dairy cooperative and creamery in a Chapter 11 reorganization following fraudulent representations to the company’s lenders.
- Forensic investigator for a municipality involving disputed utility user tax payments that resulted in a $28 million favorable cash settlement.
- Due diligence advisor to the buyer of a Top 50 ranked golf resort and corporate retreat.
- Restructuring advisor to a billion-dollar agriculture products trading company in a successful replacement of $90 million of senior debt.
- Restructuring advisor to $50 million manufactured products company to replace expensive “loan to own” debt with conventional bank financing.
Ran the Olympic torch through Menlo Park on its way to Los Angeles.