Russ Burbank is Senior Managing Director in the Firm’s Financial Advisory Group where he has a history of demonstrated success advising public and private companies in transitional circumstances.
Russ’s practice emphasizes technology, manufacturing, aerospace, agriculture and financial services.
Representative engagements include:
- Financial Advisor to a 750 ton integrated paper mill, formerly a unit of a WA-based forest products company. Developed and implemented processes and methodologies for cash management and profit optimization during a critical period of transition to a new owner.
- Chapter 11 Trustee of a 1500 head dairy with operations in CA and OK. Case was dismissed after rehabilitation and sale of livestock and turnover of operating dairies to secured lenders.
- Interim CEO of a $15 million electronic components manufacturer, resulting in an out-of-Court asset sale in cooperation with its senior lender.
- Chapter 11 Plan Administrator of a $175 million dollar mortgage fund that was operated as a Ponzi scheme.
- Interim CEO of a $75 million oil products refining and marketing company, resulting in balance sheet restructuring, debt replacement, and ultimately a sale of the business.
- Operating Receiver of a $20 million telecommunications equipment company during a hostile foreclosure by a competitor who had acquired the company’s senior secured debt.
- Restructuring Advisor to a $150 million dairy cooperative and creamery leading to a Chapter 11 filing and Section 363 asset sale.
- Restructuring Advisor to a $750 million dollar agriculture products trading company in a successful replacement of $90 million of senior debt.
- Restructuring advisor to a privately held $200 million agriculture products trading company in an out-of-court settlement with its secured lender.
- Restructuring Advisor to a $100 million semiconductor and aerospace photocell manufacturer resulting in full recovery by secured lenders and creditors under a Chapter 11 liquidation.
- Liquidating Trustee for numerous unrelated venture-capital backed companies in software, medical devices, life sciences, aerospace, financial services, pharmaceuticals, telecommunications, consumer products and electronics technologies following asset sales and orderly wind-downs.
Russ is a Certified Turnaround Professional and was formerly the Chairman of the national committee that oversees turnaround certification. Recent publications and presentations include: “The 5-Step Turnaround Process,” Dow Jones DBR; “Turnaround Process as Applied to Middle Market Companies,” Harvard Business School; “The Classic Five-Step Turnaround Process,” The Journal of Private Equity. Russ was also honored with a “Turnaround of the Year” award for work he did at a Texas-based biotechnology company.
Earlier in his career, Russ led the growth of an alternate energy company to an enterprise value of $1 billion that was realized in a hostile takeover. He has also held management and executive positions at Diamond Shamrock Corp., Natomas Co., Envirotech Corp., and the Electric Power Research Institute.
Ran the Olympic torch through Menlo Park on its way to Los Angeles.