Edward has over 30 years of experience in consulting and financial management, including specific experience in business restructuring and leadership advisory services. Prior to BPM, Edward was a Partner at a boutique advisory services firm providing financial analysis, fiduciary services and the resolution of problem asset situations nationwide. He also spent nine years at a national accounting and consulting firm where he developed significant experience in business valuation, business startups and executive leadership. Edward began his career managing the problem-asset portfolio in the successful turnaround of a large East Coast thrift.
Edward is an indoor cycling instructor.
- Interim CEO - Transactional Assistance (Saratoga, CA) This case involved restructuring and leading a 90-year-old family-owned grocery store. The project scope has required operational leadership, financial management, lease negotiations and managing union relations. The case is on-going with negotiations underway with potential local and national buyers.
- Interim CEO - Transactional Assistance (Wilmington, DE) Sell-side transactional assistance in the sale of a 40-year-old family-owned cleaning supply distributor resulted in the successful funding and completion of a multi-generational exit-strategy. The project scope required operational leadership, deal structuring and lease negotiation in addition to a quality of earnings analysis to support value.
- CRO and Liquidating Agent - Bankruptcy Support (Washington, DC and San Jose, CA) This bankruptcy involves two sister companies which were faced with an unsupportable debt structure. The engagement has included segregating performing assets, closing nine offices nationally and establishing a business model to support an operating Chapter 11 restructuring. The liquidation phase has required claims reconciliation, dispute resolution with ex-employees and the distribution of estate assets.
- Expert Testimony and Forensic Accounting - Litigation Support (San Mateo, CA) This matter related to a family-law dispute and an analysis of an existing film studio and movie production business. The case focused on best practices and the deployment of capital during the development process. The case achieved settlement after extensive testimony regarding current management standards and the value of the business.
- Litigation Consultant (Santa Cruz, CA) This case involved the review and analysis of the financial history of an operating retailer. The matter required a lost wages analysis related to a capital murder case. The analysis generated helped lead to a successful settlement of the case.
- Rents and Profits Receiver – Real Estate (Watsonville, CA) This engagement required assuming financial and operating control of an 8-unit multi-family development in downtown Watsonville, CA. This engagement ran concurrently with negotiations for a deed-in-lieu of foreclosure. The successful outcome preserved the property for the eventual owners and maintained living quarters for eight families.
- Financial Restructuring (Monterey, CA) This restructuring required settling significant litigation (eight-figure exposure) and the development and implementation of a restructuring package for a QSR franchisee. Project scope included financial analysis, report development and extensive negotiations with legal counsel and lenders. The result was a successful recapitalization of the business.
- Litigation Consultant (Milpitas, CA) This matter involved the review and analysis of the financial history of a closed technology distributor. The company was the defendant in a wage claim case and considering options in bankruptcy. The analysis kept the company out of bankruptcy and led to a settlement of the case.
- Independent Consultant – Gaming (San Jose, CA) This appointment was made by the Deputy Attorney General in support of an Executive Order regarding the management of a card room operation. The engagement supported the efforts of the state to oversee the operations and accounting of a 49-table operation. This specifically included weekly cash management and check approval, regular reporting to the CA Gaming Commission and the engagement of real estate and accounting professionals at the club.
- Financial Advisor - Debtor (Berkeley, CA) This bankruptcy led to the sale of substantially all of the assets of a fourth-generation family-owned steel plant in the Bay Area. This engagement involved extensive negotiations with DIP lenders, investment bankers and the eventual Stalking Horse buyer. Prior to the bankruptcy there were significant negotiations regarding employee-related litigation, which successfully settled thereby permitting the sale.
- American Inns of Court: Valuations in Chapter 11 (San Jose, CA), 2013
- American Inns of Court: Using Financial Advisors (San Jose, CA), 2012
- American Bankruptcy Institute: Structured Dismissals "A Proper Burial" (San Jose, CA), 2011
- San Jose State University: Essential Leadership Skills (San Jose, CA), 2009 - 2013
- Member, Turnaround Management Association
- Member, American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member, Association for Corporate Growth
- Finance Professor (Adjunct), San Jose State University
- Board of Directors, San Jose Sports Hall of Fame
- Certified Turnaround Professional (CTP), 2016
- Bankruptcy Mediation Training, St. John's University/ABI, 2016
BA, Honors Graduate/Political Science – University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
MBA/Finance – Indiana University