Shareholder & Consulting Practice Group Leader
Carl Saba advises companies on complex valuation issues for litigation, acquisitions, tax, and financial reporting matters. His valuation expertise spans business valuation, valuation of intellectual property and other intangible assets, and valuation of options and other derivatives. Carl also advises companies and has testified on civil litigation issues including economic damages, breach of contract, fraud, and disputes over businesses and intellectual property. He is responsible for all fair value related issues in the firm’s public and private company audit practice.
- Founding Member, Executive Committee, Fair Value Forum
- President, Valuation Roundtable of San Francisco
- Beta Gamma Sigma – National Business Honor Society
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- American Society of Appraisers
- Leadership San Francisco Alumni Class of 2008
- Emerging Leaders Academy Class of 2008-2011
- BS/Business/Finance – UC Berkeley
- MBA/Strategy & Finance – University of Southern California
- Accredited Valuation Analyst (AVA), National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts
- Valuation Challenges for Early Stage Companies, BV Wire Issue 97-4, October 2010
- Stock Options for Life Science Companies, Understanding the Risks, Realizing the Rewards, CFO.com, 2009
- Future Equity Financing in Early Stage Company Valuations, Fair Value Forum Whitepaper, 2009
- Finding Value in Valuations – The Importance of Valuations for Biotech Companies, Smart Business, 2008.
- Accounting Practices for Medical Technology, MX Magazine, July/August 2007.
- Hot Issues in Biotech and Life Sciences, California CPA, March/April 2006.
Instruction and Seminars
- Panelist on Valuation Issues in Bankruptcy and Financial Reporting, Association for Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors National Conference, June 2010.
- Alternative Investments, Fair Value Issues, San Francisco Nonprofit Roundtable, 2009
- The Guideline Public Company Valuation Method and Minority versus Control Value Conclusion, Valuation Roundtable of San Francisco, 2009.
- Modeling Techniques for Future Rounds of Equity Financing in Early Stage Technology and Biotech Companies, Fair Value Forum, 2009.
- Acquired Intangible Assets and Impairment Testing Under FAS 141, 142, 144, San Francisco State University, 2008.
- FAS 157 and Mark-to-Market or Mark-to-Make Believe Accounting?, Golden Gate University, 2008. Analyzing Financial Statements, and Interpreting Financial Ratios, Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA), 2005 – 2007.
- Valuations of Early Stage Companies, Frost, and Sullivan Medical Devices Conference, 2007
- Complex Capital Structures – DCF with Future Capital Requirements and the Impact of Existing Shareholders, Valuation Roundtable of San Francisco Annual Seminar, 2007
- Audits of Investments in Private Equity Securities, Are you Ready?, San Francisco Nonprofit Roundtable, 2007
- Valuation and Accounting under FAS 123R, Cal Society East Bay Business & Industry Group, 2006
- Panelist on Implementation and Valuation Considerations Under FAS 123R, Cal Society Life Sciences Industry Group, 2006
Lived in France, Italy, and Saudi Arabia before settling in the United States.